Saturday, 4 February 2012

pH Balance in Skin


What is pH balance and why is it so important when it comes to skin care?

I don’t know about you but I’ve heard a lot about pH levels and balance but never really understood it properly. If you are like me, read on.  I’ll fill you in on what I’ve learned about it. So, directly affecting the health and quality of our skin is its pH (power of hydrogen – SO pleased to now know what it stands for) levels. pH levels are scored on a scale of 1 – 14. Level 7 is neutral, under 7 is considered acidic and above 7 is alkaline. Our skin should naturally sit between 4 and 6.5, slightly acidic. Everything affects our pH balance from the varieties of food we favor to our water consumption or lack of. (The latter I’m severely guilty of).

Our largest organ – our incredibly fascinating skin,  is protected by a combination of lactic acid, amino acids and free fatty acids and this is what gives our skin the slightly acidic pH to stop it and our body from absorbing bacteria – isn’t that amazing!!  If there is disruption to this precious layer then the damage manifests itself in irritations such as dryness or blemishes or others, so you can see how important maintaining the natural pH balance is to our skin to reduce the risk of this kind of damage.

So how can we do this I hear you ask …. well stay tuned because I will discuss just what we can do environmentally, internally and topically for our skin’s optimum pH balance next time.

0 comments: